Historic site and monument

Château de la Prade

© Domaine de la Prade

Château de la Prade, built in the 19th century, saw several owners, including two former mayors of Cébazat.

In 1752 the estate was called “La Roze”. It wasn’t until the 19th century that it took the name de la Prade, from the Celtic “prad”, or the Latin “prada”, which means meadow.

The estate was acquired by the Pyrent family in around 1872. The name “château” de Pyrent de la Prade then appeared on census records. The Pyrent family had this residence built with two wings embellished with towers to the north and south. Benoit-Edmond Pyrent de la Prade, born in Clermont on May 27, 1820, and died in 1901, Baron of the Second Empire and politician in the department, was mayor of Cébazat from 1879 to 1882. In 1864, he obtained the authorisation to add the suffix “de la Prade” to his name. He was active in the Diocese committee and chairman of charity organisations, and donated to the cathedral a painting showing The Descent from the Cross and to the Église Saint-Pardoux de Blanzat the Madonna and Child, a copy of a painting by Correggio (circa 1489-1534).

In 1920, Professor Castaigne, director of the school of medicine at Clermont-Ferrand and mayor of Cébazat from 1925 to 1945, purchased the château and its dependences. In 1951 the estate was sold to the companies Électricité de France and Gaz de France, who set up a training centre for their staff and managers. In 2007, the municipality acquired the estate with its 5-hectare park and its many hundred-year-old trees.

Additional information

Visitor alert :

Free admission to the grounds and exterior of the château.

Opening dates and times

All year round, every Saturday and Sunday between 10 am and 7 pm.

Services and equipment

Services : Room hire
Equipment : Car park, Coach parking, Free car park

Prices

  • Free access.