Château de Montjoly is a classically-inspired 18th century residence.

South of Chamalières, Michel Girard de la Batisse, dean of the cathedral chapter, purchased the Montjoly estate, whose land belonged in around 1550 to the Gayte family from Clermont. In around 1755, he had a mansion built, surrounded by French-style gardens. This classically-inspired residence is punctuated by large arches on the ground floor, opening onto a terrace overlooking the gardens, which are accessed via a monumental staircase with divergent and convergent steps. The château is topped with a slate-covered Mansard roof. Below, the horseshoe-shaped courtyard gave access to the stables. On the eve of the Revolution, the heirs of the Abbot Girard de la Batisse sold the Château de Montjoly to François Grangier, captain of the Dragons.

The estate was put up for sale in 1955. The mayor of Chamalières, Pierre Chatrousse, purchased the house and the majority of the park. The rest of the garden was parcelled up and then occupied by luxury residences and a school. Avenue de Montjoly was created at this time. The château became the headquarters of the new town hall in 1960, and its park was opened to the public. The Second World War memorial was placed there. Before becoming President of France, Valéry Giscard d’Estaing was mayor of Chamalières from 1967 to 1974 and also Minister for the Economy and Finance from 1969 to 1974.

Additional information

Visitor alert :

The château is not open to visitors. It houses the various departments of Chamalières Town Hall

Opening dates and times

All year round, daily between 7.30 am and 7.30 pm.

Services and equipment

Pets allowed : Tenus en laisse
Single visit : Unguided individual tours available permanently
Services : Wi-fi
Equipment : Parking nearby, Car park, Public WC, Play area


  • Free access.