Historic site and monument

Tour de l'Horloge

© Tour de l'horloge

This clock tower - thus named from the 18th century - actually dates back to the 15th century, and over the course of history has had different purposes.

In the Middle Ages, this square-shaped tower was used as a postern (small door) in the village fort, a protected space in the middle of which stood the church. The present-day Rue des Forts reminds us that there is an enclosure.

This clock tower, thus named in the 18th century, was also a symbol of the rights acquired by the community of residents (franchise charter). It bore the clock that dispensed the time that governed civil life. The clock remained in service until 1868 before being replaced by the clock placed on the bell tower of the Église Saint-Martin.

On the entrance wall remains the holder for the quinquet, an oil lamp with a tank used until 1911, when electric lighting was installed in Cournon-l’Auvergne. In the 19th century it was lit with walnut oil given by the town hall, when patrons came to hire the workers they needed for the day.

The metropolitan area retains some other examples of clock towers in Cébazat, Pont-du-Château and Gerzat.

Additional information

Visitor alert :

Visit from the outside only.

Opening dates and times

All year round, daily.


  • Free of charge.